Welcome to weeks 49 and 50 update! Usually posts like this have the "bumper update" tag but I'm going to be honest straight off the bat: not a huge amount of work was done this past fortnight. I had a much deserved breather. I also went to visit my brother and you can't work on Lode Runner and play Far Cry 4 at the same time. It's a science fact.
We also put together a dining table from Kmart. A simple 9 piece table took two of us only an hour. It would have gone quicker if a) the directions weren't on a single-sided sheet of A4, 2) the images were detailed, not the size of a thumbtack and not blurry, 3) the little spanner that came with it actually fitted the nuts and 4) my brother didn't decide to leave me with it while he buggered off to have a bog for 15 minutes.
Having said this, I did manage to get quite a few bits done. Several bug fixes + converting the Reef World cut-scene to a different format (which you can read all about here).
I'd like to thank Leandro for all the testing and playing he did this last two weeks. I really appreciate it mate!
- fixed bug that did not preserve player data when moving them (select region tool) (Leandro)
- fixed bug that prevented blocks from restoring if a monks' bounding box was over it (Leandro)
- fixed bug that caused a monk to kick into the floor when dropping from a ladder into liquid on the ground level whilst moving left or right
- gold remaining + total gold count is now displayed in debug view (tilde key or asterisk on the numpad)
- fixed bug that allowed you to blast if standing on the edge of a block causing a player to float in the air (Leandro)
- fixed bug that allowed runners to drop off a monkey bar directly onto a monk and stand on his head or fall through the monk (Leandro)
- fixed bug that prevented a player from blasting at the bottom of a ladder (that in not sitting on another block) (Leandro)
- fixed bug that caused a runner to fall and land on a monk going down a ladder, resulting in him being able to pass through the monk (Leandro)
- fixed bug that allowed a runner to run into a fall-through block when on top of a monk (Leandro)
- fixed bug that allowed a player to go into a block (causing him to end up in a wall) when climbing up/down a ladder using the left/right keys (Leandro)
- fixed bug that prevented monks from dropping gold when dropping into a blasted hole (from falling) (Leandro)
- if the gamepad is disconnected when playing, the game will revert to using keyboard input until it is reconnected
If you don't know already, the cut-scenes for Reef and Astro Worlds + the ending are not in the same format as the others, rather, your bog-standard RIFF AVI circa 1992. Well, not anymore, I've spent quite a lot of time this week and last converting the Reef World scene into the same propriety Presage format. As you can see in the video below, it worked out quite well. You can read a complete roundup of the process and why I did in here.
Reef World cut-scene in Presage format
- trimmed some obsolete code from the project
- in-game menu: this will replace the old file menu strip
- working scoreboard
What I'll probably do next week
- continue playing the game
- finalize LAN gaming
- mockup a lobby interface for network games