Week #21 update
Special thanks to Conrad for helping to fix a bug that prevented the game running on all Windows x64 machines and to Luis for the Spanish translation. All interface related fixes this week are courtesy of Gareth since I was busy with networking (which you can read about below).
Don't forget, we're working on a Lode Runner 2 remake. You can read about the latest project update here. It is early days yet but it is coming along nicely.
A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!
- fixed flipping regions vertically causing the editor to crash (Ali)
- editor UI is no longer active/open until editor itself is opened
- fixed crumbling rock piles removing block states incorrectly, allowing players to fall into rubble (MacLr)
- fixed players being able to leap from a ladder into a trapdoor brick
- fixed blasted bricks getting stuck when players are crossing onto a ladder through the brick (Howie)
- fixed animation glitch in blasted bricks when closing with players inside
The current networking model is client/host. In a nutshell: clients just send the key presses to the host and the host uses this to run the game normally. It then sends snapshots back with enough info for clients to recreate what is happening.
I've spent this week doing a basic lockstep model. In this approach, each player sends their input to others. When each machine has all input, it updates the game and waits for more. Each machine is running their own copy of the game.
You can read much more details explanations on both methods at Gaffer On Games.
Each has their own pros and cons; the former has far more code and a lot of it spread here and there - like dry rot - and the latter can make the game quite slower. I'm experimenting with the pros/cons of both at the moment but am leaning towards lockstep.
If you are playing LAN games at the moment then you won't be able to in this build - sorry. Continue to use last weeks build to play LAN.
- fixed missing tooltips in Options Dialog (MacLr)
- fixed dropdown controls not accepting input when they drop outside window bounds
- fixed disabled buttons not firing tooltips correctly
Bugs being worked on
- monks merging together when crossing on/off ladders
- switching to windowed mode hides the Dock (Sierra)
- regen bomb timing does not accurately match the Original
What I'll probably do next
- continue working on LAN
- ability to 'pause' the game when testing and return after minor edits