May 8, 2016 · weekly update wip

Week #18 update

I finally started work on LAN gaming! This has been on my TODO list for several weeks. A few months if you press me about it. Progress has been quite quick which I'm pleased about.

The downloads have been updated for the April build. It includes most of what is in this weeks update. If you've already downloaded the April build - don't worry, it works but there are some issues. Special thanks to Howie, Jeffrey and the Morse family for pointing them out.

I forgot to mention this in the April roundup post (long time downloaders will have noticed) that the filenames have changed for the builds. Usually the downloads are named something like LODERUNN-WIN-APR.ZIP. Starting from the April build, I switched to the same style Ethan Lee uses for his FNA releases. The new names are LODERUNN-platform-yearMonthDayRevision.ZIP.

Two new boards have been added to the scoreboard thanks to Jared. The 1st two boards are for playing the original, built-in puzzle sets and new boards for when playing custom puzzle sets.

*Bragging rights*

A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!




A lot of time was spent on LAN gaming. LAN gaming was present several builds ago but since removed. Although stable, it wasn't really brilliant and a bit of a mess if I'm being honest. It was also never designed for more than two runners.

So far;

The above list isn't very large, I know, but all networking areas were started from scratch. I hope to have the lobby completely done by next weekend so I can go onto gameplay.



The entire user-interface in Lode Runner Online: The Mad Monks' Revenge/Rewrite is written from scratch. That includes all controls; buttons, textboxes, list boxes, scroll bars, windows, tooltips - the lot. Rich-text support wasn't in the game before since nothing needed it. Jared brought to my attention that in certain areas, a pop of colour is needed instead of the default "Lode Runner yellow".

The project now has very basic rich-text support - all added to the text in the language files so nothing has to be manually edited in code. Pretty much as "set and forget" as I can get. So far only underlines and changing text colour is supported. You can see this in the hideous dialog above ;).

Surrounding text with ::u will underline it and wrapping text with ::# will change the colour. Here is an example to change text colour: ::#373FDBWes Reckless!::#. The only downside is readability suffers a little but since I'm the only one who creates the XML language files, it isn't a real concern.

Bugs being worked on

What I'll probably do next week


Quark Robot

A massive Lode Runner fan. You may have guessed that.