Week #8 update
Some of my time was spent look into the bug with monks disappearing and reappearing when moving the game window or toggling full-screen. I've found the problem but can't work out how to fix it. FNA uses the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN flag to toggle full-screen but I use SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP to maintain the aspect ratio without having to bother with scaling. If you use FNAs default then all works. I'm looking into fixing this but have no ETA yet.
The part of the bug when dragging the window is a lot trickier. Turns out, Windows stops pumping messages to the window so the game isn't updating. I'll keep looking into a fix next month.
The rest of the time was spent giving the projects content manager a much needed overhaul. Whilst not 'officially' on my TODO list, it has been at the back of my mind to give it an upgrade. Nothing was wrong as a whole, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't very efficient. The original content manager was patched onto over and over as more of the original game functionality was added.
A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!
- updated the "Can't Climb Down" quirk; Howie Pelton noticed that you also won't fall if a phase brick opens beneath a ladder. The same workaround applies. Also, Howie is same fellow who alerted Jason Summers to "Can't Climb Down II" about 18 years ago!
- fixed a bug that did not snare a player when falling into a rope trap
- the correct colour palette is now used for object animations (such as tools jiggling, exit doors)
- 2D textures are now squared;
- previously, any power of two was used eg; 8x16, 128x512
- the Internet seems to not know conclusively what is best so I've gone for squared on all textures created
Bugs being worked on
- monks disappearing and reappearing when moving the game window or toggling full-screen (Windows machines only)
- case-sensitive filename support not working correctly on non-Windows machines
What I'll probably do next week
- finalize the new content manager