Thanks to Howie this week for helping to iron out the kinks with the new build tool on Linux machines and for Miguel for helping to track why the game crashed when it was unloading, again, on Linux machines. This bug turned out to be a logic flaw on my part and the differences in .NET Framework versions between Windows and Linux/macOS.
A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!
- changed list to queue for flood filling
- fixed monks falling through blast bricks (classic mode) (Jeffrey)
- renamed '1983 Ruleset' to 'Classic mode'
- fixed crash when unloading a game (Miguel)
- rewrote player input processing;
- same overall functionality as before
- works similar to the Original game
- drastically reduced code and complexity
- plays nicer with LAN
Renamed 1983 option
LAN gaming is currently unavailable. I've no ETA at the moment on when it will be ready, sorry.
- added local server discovery support
- updated FNA engine to 17.08
- fixed bug in file dialog that created invalid path names (Miguel)
- error logs now use UTF-8 encoding
- build tool rewritten in C#
The build tool is just a basic console app which copies all the game files and binaries for each platform and then zips them. The previous tool was written in Visual Basic some time ago and wasn't very well done. It has been rewritten in C# to use XML manifest files and is no longer dependent on hardcoded paths and filenames.
Build tool in action
I've made sure logs are now UTF-8 encoded to try and fix the problem you see in the screenshot below. The top extract is from the error reading tool, middle from Notepad++ and the bottom from Notepad. Notice how the part in red is backwards? What is really bizarre is if you copy the text and paste it again, it is no longer reversed.
Bugs being worked on
- jerky movement when playing on Ubuntu machines
- darkness mode does not render correctly on Ubuntu machines
- monks merging when ladders are involved
- switching to windowed mode hides the Dock (Sierra)
- regen bomb timing does not accurately match the Original
What I'll probably do next
- continue working on LAN
- ability to 'pause' the game when testing and return after minor edits