This week has seen quite a lot done. A lot of the work has been on the TODO list for a very long time. The experimental new game options have now been added as well as the puzzle number for two-player games.
The July build will be up for download shortly.
A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!
- fixed bug that could crash editor when playtesting a puzzle set
- when "queueing" up movements, running right no longer takes priority from left;
- the Original PC copy of Lode Runner Online: The Mad Monks' Revenge does this on Windows 7+ but I've been told that the Original Mac copy didn't
- I can't think of any real reason why right should take priority over left so I've removed it
- thanks to numerous testers, particularly Jayde
- monk AI tweaks;
- rewrote code that chooses how to chase a runner or when to chase after a phantom
- monks will now chase after Jane Peril and Digmo
- monks are now less wishy-washy: they'll continue to chase the same runner if heading the same direction. The stops the monk turning and chasing another runner, turning back and so on.
- fixed bug that prevented pick-axe debris from falling through a block blown up by a bomb (Steve)
- fixed bug that prevented monks from eating runners when they are falling into a hole (Howie)
- Jane and Digmo's tools and gold will now show in puzzle preview schematics
- updated HUD (including a massive code overhaul)
One of the most requested features has been to add the puzzle number to the two-player interface. The main reason I'm guessing it wasn't there to begin with is space: adding the puzzle number squishes it up a lot - no matter how you try and arrange the HUDs for both players. But, if you remove the return/back button you free up a lot of room and allows the elements to be symmetrically placed.
I sent out some mockups to a couple of testers and the feedback was 50/50. Half liked the button and the other hated it (vehemently in Jared's case). I personally don't see why the button needs to be there, plus, it kind of looks like an afterthought, sort of like it has been dumped on last minute.
Below are screenshots taken in-game with the return/back button removed. As you can see, it looks a lot less cluttered - especially 2P. Crank up full-screen and it looks very nice!
Updated single-player UI
Updated two-player UI
You can still click where the return/back button used to be - it is still there, just not being drawn for the time being. Of course, if enough people don't like the button not being here, I'm open to putting it back and wedging the puzzle number in. You can see this in the mockup below;
Two-player mockup with return button
Have you ever said to yourself "I'll just play for quarter of an hour, then call it" and then look at the clock and notice you've been playing for hours? What if you could choose to only play for X amount of time? You can now. Thanks to Jared for the suggestion.
Want to play for 10 minutes? No problems!
You will be able to access a nice and proper dialog to choose game options in the coming weeks, but for now (and possibly the end-of-month July build), you can select an option by clicking on the text dumped on the choose game dialog (see below). EDIT: it's done! When the time is up, your game will be automatically saved so you can restore it later.
Click "ORIGINAL" to change game types (temporarily)
Saved game format
The format has changed to include the new game options and more significantly, it now has the puzzle set bundled with it.
What is the benefit of including the puzzles in the save? You can now transfer your saves to any machine you like - you no longer need to copy the puzzle set with it or worry about the set being modified (accidently or to cheat).
And yes, your current saved games will load just fine. Next time you play and save, they'll be migrated to the new format.
- updated game UI tooltips
- updated README.TXT file
- Quirks Mode toggle removed from options;
- see here for new location
- placeholder to change game language added
Bugs being worked on
- monks merging together on ladders (Leandro)
- monks bunching together too closely on ladders (Howie, Gareth, Me)
- runners not entering exit doors (Howie)
- monks and runners not getting squished in blasted blocks (Howie)
What I'll probably do next week
- bug fixes
- LAN fixes