This week I've been trying outs something new: updating the builds after major bug fixes are included. I wont be keeping this up as quite a few little bugs sneak through. This the this main reason why builds are monthly. What I might do is stick to monthly builds but also upload beta/test builds so gamers have access to the latest fixes (with the caveat being it may crash frequently).
Quite a lot of work has gone into getting monks to hump 'n bump to match the Original game more. This is very time consuming and finicky. Lots and lots of testing is involved which eats up time.
Back in week #32 I finished updating the editor to use new puzzle helper classes that aim to streamline all puzzle-access related tasks and reduce code repetition. I've started making small changes to the core gameplay code to do the same. Unlike the editor, which is small in comparison, I'll be updating the game in bits and pieces over a long period of time to ensure I don't break things. What is the point? To make the project much easier to maintain.
A name in parenthesis and in bold is the finder of the bug/quirk. Thanks to all, I really do appreciate your time and support. Cheers!
- fixed bug that did not paste selected regions correctly
- fixed bug that did not allow a runner to climb down a ladder after blasting or using tools (Steve, Leo)
- tweaked runner positioning on ladders
- tweaked monks picking a random entry point when no exit doors are present
- fixed bug that did not allow a monk to enter the puzzle if the entry door was previously blocked by a monk (Ali)
- monks will no longer enter randomly on the same spot as a runner - this matches the Original
- fixed monk stacking when falling into liquid
- tweaked monks bunching on ladders to match the Original more closely
- tweaked monk stacking with regards to crossing ladders
- fixes to collision detection
- housekeeping for player classes
- if you're playing a game and it crashes then an auto-save will be created for you
- added "Can't drop that here..." to Quirks Mode
Dropping tools while you are using them
I've also updated the quirks page to include a puzzle set that showcases all the bugs. All the quirks from Jason Summers' bug page have been recreated in this set.
- updated support tools for the project
- updates to error handling;
- logs now have more friendly filenames
- fixed bug the crashed the game... after the game already crashed
- altered prompt message for a little nostalgia
- date included into log (used for bug tracking)
Bugs being worked on
- runners not entering exit doors (Howie)
- some Windows machines not be able to detect LAN games (Steve)
- machines with a different Windows on host/client are affected
What I'll probably do next week
- improve monks on ladders
- improve LAN