June 2016 update now ready!
The June 2016 is now up and ready to download! LAN gameplay took up most of my time this month and I'm happy to report that you can now host or join a game on your network and play an entire puzzle set. Other areas of the project also has some bug fixes and improvements. Overall, this month has been quite good for the project.
This monthly post covers the highlighs from the last month of work. If you like to read the weekly update posts featured in this build, you can find them here: weeks #22, #23, #24, #25 and #26
What are you waiting for? Head on over to the downloads page page and get a copy!
Special thanks for this build go to Leandro, Howie, Jared and Rick. Thanks to all of you who took the time to give me feedback or just say hello.
If you find anything at all that is wrong with the game so far or have any ideas or suggestions, please get in touch with me. Your feedback is very important to making this project as good as it can possibly be.
Continue reading for a summary of all the fixes, improvements and new features in the June update.
- 1 new feature, 4 bugs fixed, 2 improvements
- paint helper added for erase
- fixes to undo
- fixes when using the random painting aid (CTRL+R)
- added delete key support for OS X
- editor sees the return of Jane and Digmo
- 9 bugs fixed, 7 improvements
- if you have a gamepad connected but are not using it, then bombs will no longer trigger force feedback
- monks eat runners more accurately
- runners can now entering a hidey-hole if standing on a monk
- players now cross to ladder the same as the Original
- fixes to bombs
- fixes to scoring system
- runners can now escape the puzzle on the top row if the puzzle never had gold - matches Original
- major update to players (runner/monks) to prevent random 'teleports' around the screen and to fix choppy animations when the game is played at full-speed
- improvements to monks spawning into the puzzle that don't have an entry door
- fixed bug that prevented monks from moving randomly when a runner cannot be reached
- altered draw order when dropping tools on ladders;
- doesn't match the Original but it does make sense
- fixes not being able to see tools dropped on buried ladders
Original tool drop bug
LAN gameplay is neat complete! You can play puzzles, use tools, have monks chase you, swap lives, cheat and complete an entire puzzle set.
- 5 bugs fixed, 8 improvements
- numerous UI tweaks to the lobby
- support to open/close slots - max number of gamers is 4
- updated in-game chat box
- removed remnants of previous LAN system
Hosting a game
If you're interesting in network programming or just programming in general, I highly recommend you read Glenn Fiedler's articles on networking.
- 2 new features, 4 bugs fixed, 5 improvements
- added back/forward toggles to the sides of the menu
- reduced click area to toggle fade effect to the size of the scoreboard area
- when returning from a game, the relevant scoreboard will be displayed
- improved tabbing support
- added support to use up/down keys to scroll listbox items
- normal exits no longer show in puzzle previews - this matches the Original
- added F1 shortcut to toggle balloon help
- fixed bug when entering full-screen mode choosing an incompatible size
- new icons for left/right shift, back, subtract and unassigned keys in the options dialog
left shift, right shift, backspace, subtract, unassigned
Go back/forward between boards when clicking in the red zone